Depression is a common and serious medical illness that negatively affects how you feel, the way you think and how you act. It causes feelings of sadness and/or loss of interest in activities you once enjoyed. It can lead to a variety of emotional and physical problems and can decrease your ability to function at work and at home.
Depression is different from usual mood fluctuations and short-lived emotional responses to challenges in everyday life. Especially when recurrent and with moderate or severe intensity, depression may become a serious health condition. At it’s worst, depression can lead to suicide.
1. Depression is a common mental disorder. Globally,it is estimated that 5.0% of adults suffer from depression.
2. Depression is a leading cause of disability worldwide and is a major contributor to the overall global burden of disease.
3.More women are affected by depression than men.
4. Depression can lead to suicide.
5. There is effective treatment for mild,moderate and severe depression.
Not everyone with depression will experience thesame symptoms. Symptoms can vary in severity,how often they happen and how long they last. If you experience some of the following signs and symptoms of depression nearly every day for at least 2weeks,you may be living with depression:
1. Feeling sad,anxious or ‘empty’
2. Feeling hopeless, worthless and pessimistic
3.crying a lot
4. Feeling bothered,annoyed or angry
5. Loss of interest in hobbies interests you once enjoyed
6. Decreased energy or fatigue
7. Difficulty concentrating, remembering or making decisions
8. Moving or talking more slowly
9. Difficulty sleeping, early morning awakening or oversleeping.
10. Appetite or weight changes
11. Chronic physical pain with no clear cause that does not get better with treatment(headaches,aches or pains,digestive problems,cramps)
1. Stressful events: most people take time to come to terms with stressful events such as a bereavement or a relationship breakdown.
4. Giving birth
6.Alcohol and drugs
There’s no sure way to prevent depression. However,these strategies may help
1. Take steps to control stress,to increase your resilience and boost your self-esteem.
2. Reach out to family and friends,especially in times of crisis to help you weather rough spells.
3. Get treatment at the earliest sign of a problem to help prevent depression from worsening.
4. Consider getting long term maintenance treatment to help prevent a relapse of symptoms.
Treatment and Therapies
Depression,even the most severe cases can be treated. The earlier that treatment can begin, the more effective it is. Depression is usually treated with medications, psychotherapy or a combination of the two. If these treatments do not reduce symptoms,electroconvulsive therapy (ECT) and other brain stimulation therapies may be options to explore.
diseases-conditions/ depression/symptoms-causes/ syc-20356007